IXIA (Nasdaq-listed company, code name XXIA) is a world-class provider of high-performance IP network test solutions, 100% focused on developing IP test solutions. There are many customers and friends who want to systematically understand the latest progress of the IXIAIP test platform and the test solutions provided, so I will introduce it here.
2IXIA Unified Platform
The IXIA unified platform consists of three parts: chassis, test module and software. The organic combination of the three parts constitutes the most complete 2~7 layer IP test solution at present. Figure 1 is a schematic diagram of the overall testing scheme of IXIA.
Figure 1IXIA2~7 layer overall test scheme
There are two types of IXIA chassis: rack-mounted and portable, which can be selected according to the needs of the test application and the number of ports.
The rack-mounted chassis OptixiaXM12 (see Figure 2) is the IP test platform with the highest performance and the widest range of test applications in the industry. It is suitable for multi-port and multi-user simultaneous use in the laboratory. It has attracted the attention of the market due to the following characteristics, especially the favor of existing users of IXIA.
Figure 2 OptixiaXM12 test frame
(1) Test modules, test software and even previous test configurations are fully compatible, and the performance is greatly improved, improving test efficiency and maximizing investment protection.
(2) It fully supports various applications of Aptixia, and completes 2~7 layers of testing on a single platform.
(3) High-speed backplane connection, modular software and hardware design, and clear real-time Display of LCD status, the operating status is clear at a glance.
(4) It supports the hot swap of the test module, which brings convenience to the test.
The portable chassis OptixiaXM2 has the same features as the XM12, but it is more flexible and suitable for use when you need to go out and test frequently. The OptixiaXM2 is shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3 OptixiaXM2 test frame
2.2 Test Module
IXIA100% focuses on the field of IP testing, and the products provided are all based on IP technology. Therefore, the corresponding test modules are mainly based on 10/100/1000M and 10G Ethernet interfaces. Of course, ATM, POS, PoE (PoweroverEthernet) and other interface types are also provided to meet various test needs. Among them, the gigabit module is the most widely used. There are many types of IXIA gigabit test modules to meet the test needs of different users. Here, we will focus on two modules, LSM1000XMV16 and ASM1000XMV12.
LSM1000XMV16 is the only high-density test module in the industry that can provide high-performance 2 to 7-layer testing (see Figure 4). The test module has the following features:
Figure 4 LSM1000XMV16 high performance test module
(1) High port density: One test board can simultaneously provide 16 10/100/100M electrical ports and 16 100/1000M optical ports (dual media interface type).
(2) High performance index: In the simulation of layer 2~3 routing protocols, two test ports can simulate the routing topology of carrier-class core routers at the same time. Other manufacturers may require more than 10 test ports to achieve similar performance.
800eBGPPeers and advertise 300k routes;
68OSPFAdjacencies and advertise 10k routes;
●22OSPFv3Adjacencies and advertise 1k routes;
4PEs and routed through 550kVPN;
● 50iBGP4+Peers and advertise 10k routes.
Therefore, this test module is the first choice for core routing equipment testing. The above test data is fully verified and approved by IsocoreLab, a third-party testing laboratory. The detailed evaluation report can be found in the link below:
In the simulation of the 4~7 layer application protocol, each port of HTTPConnectionRate can reach 15k, and each port of HTTPGoodput (effective throughput) can exceed 950Mbit/s, and the performance increases linearly with the increase of the number of ports. And each test port can emulate the client or server side.
ASM1000XMV12 (see Figure 5) is the only test module in the industry that can generate and analyze 10G application layer wire-speed traffic. The test module has three working modes.
●Non-aggregation mode: 12 10/100/1000Mbit/s electrical ports and 12 100/1000M optical ports provide the test function of Layer 2~7.
●Gigabit aggregation mode: PCPUs with 12 ports can be aggregated arbitrarily through the switching matrix, improving the processing capability of each port at Layer 4 to Layer 7.
●10 Gigabit aggregation mode: 12 Gigabit PCPUs are aggregated to 10 Gigabit ports through the switch matrix to generate 10G application layer wire-speed traffic. This is also the most typical and commonly used application mode, which is used for performance testing of application-layer devices such as high-performance 10G firewalls, high-performance application gateways, and DPI. FIG. 6 is a schematic diagram of 10G aggregation.
2.3 Test software
AptixiaIxNetwork is the flagship tool for testing switches, routers, DSLAMs, BRAS and other layer 2~3 forwarding devices. It generates millions of data traffic by simulating millions of routes and reachable hosts, and realizes the control level and The stress test combined with the data plane can also perform real-time analysis on the performance of the control plane and the data plane. The main supported protocols include: BGP, BGP+, MBGP; OSPFv2/v3, OSPFv3; BFD; ISISv4/v6, ISISv6; RIP, RIPng; L2MPLSVPN, VPLS (LDP and BGPBased); L3MPLSVPN, MulticastVPN, MulticastVPNv6; LDP, RSVP-TE ; IGMPv1/v2/v3, MLDv1/v2, PIM-SMv4/v6; STP, RSTP, MSTP, PVST+, RPVST+; EIGRP; DHCPv4/v6; PPPoX, L2TP, 802.1x, 802.1xwithNAC(L2NAC), EAPoUDP(L3NAC) ;EthernetOAM, CFM, (IEEE802.3ah, IEEE802.1ag) ITU.Y1731.
The main features are:
●Easy-to-use protocol wizard, simulates the Internet-level routing topology, and quickly and accurately determines the routing capacity of network equipment.
●Powerful traffic wizard, can generate millions of data traffic according to the simulated network and host.
●The flexible test scheduling function can simulate the dynamic jitter and change of the topology structure in real time; measure the performance of network convergence.
●ApplicationTraffic (HTTP, POP3, SMTP, Voice, Video, etc.) QoE test of overRoutes.
● RFC2544 benchmark test method OverRouting benchmark performance test.
● “white box” test method (real-time acquisition of device information under test through SNMP). It should be noted that all Aptixia applications support this feature, and the running status of the device under test can be observed in real time during the test.
●The “flow detection” function can find out the “best” or “worst” performance flow in real time from the massive flow, which greatly improves the test efficiency.
●The “multi-field tracking” function can facilitate the performance testing of important features such as VLAN leakage and QoS re-marking.
AptixiaIxLoad is a professional tool for evaluating the performance of three-in-one voice, data, video networks and devices and information security equipment. IxLoad simulates users of IPTV and 3-in-1 network services and related protocols to ensure user quality of experience (QoE). Supported protocols include:
●Data class (Data) protocol
——TCP connection number performance test;
——HTTP(1.0/1.1) and Web server function test;
——SSLv2, SSLv3, TLSv1;
– E-mail protocol (POP3, IMAP, IMAP);
– Stateful capture and playback AppReplay of private protocols;
– P2P protocols (BitTorrent, eDonkey, Kazaa, FastTrack, Gnutella, etc.).
● VulnerabilityAttacks and DDoS attacks.
●Voice (VoIP): SIP, MGCP.
——IGMPv1/v2/v3, BroADCastTV supported by MLDv1/v2 protocol, test channel switching time, I-FrameJoinLatency and video quality MDI, MOS_V and PEVQ;
——VoD under RTSP/RTP protocol;
– Microsoft IPTV (MSTV) test support.
●Network layer access mode: IP access includes support for VLANs (802.1Q, Q-in-Q, 802.1p), PPPoE access, IPSec access, and DHCP (including Option82) access.
AptixiaIxAutomate is an automated test suite that enables quick setup of common test cases. The supported test suites include:
●Layer 2~3 data plane forwarding test: RFC2544 (updated to the latest test specification in 2007, adding IPv4/v6 test features), RFC2889, advanced switching feature test (VLAN, DataIntegrity, SequenceChecking, ErrorHandling, etc.), QoS test, IPv4/v6Tunneling, BroadbandPerformance, LACP, MEF14 test suite.
●Routing protocol: BGP4/BGP4+, OSPFv2/v3, ISISv4/v6.
●Multicast: RFC3918IPMulticast (IGMPv1/v2/v3, MLDv1/v2).
● MPLS: LDP, RSVP-TE, L2VPN (Martini), L3VPN (RFC2547), VPLS.
●Bridging protocol (Bridging): STP/RSTP.
●4~7 layers: RFC3511 (firewall performance test).
AptixiaTestConductor is a management tool that can realize automated testing without writing scripts. It is a comprehensive IXIA and third-party test application and device management platform. Key features include:
● Deployment does not require a lot of personnel training, and test engineers without any programming experience can complete complex tests.
●It is a software product that does not include any new hardware investment. Users can quickly deploy tests and regression tests as long as they already own various test equipment and test tools of IXIA. Of course, if there is no IXIA related equipment, you can also run any third-party test script or test program on TestConductor, and use TestConductor’s powerful regression testing function for complete testing.
●It is a new generation of test management platform. It has no conflict with the test platform developed by itself in essence. It mainly completes the configuration and management functions in a large number of regression tests.
●It has a powerful DUT configuration module, which can record and replay DUT configuration instructions from DUTs connected with various interface types. It is convenient for users to configure and realize one-click conversion from graphics to scripts. Users no longer need to write complex TCL configuration scripts to configure DUT.
●Run the scheduler, which uses an Outlook calendar to facilitate the user to define the scheduling sequence. The test can be executed in sequence or in parallel to make the best use of test resources.
●The real-time data obtained by various resources including DUT can complete some extended functions, such as using these data to calculate and determine whether the test is successful or not. After the test is completed, the test result will be notified by E-mail automatically.
●Integrated with MercuryQualityCenter, users can start, stop and detect regression tests in QC, and all test results will be uploaded and saved in QC.
3IXIAIP test plan
The above-mentioned unified test platform of IXIA can realize a complete 2~7 layer test scheme with the corresponding test tools. The tests that can be realized mainly include:
(1) Traffic analysis and testing of layer 2~3 forwarding equipment;
(2) Router, switch, MPLS test;
(3) EdgeRouter/Switch/DSLAM multicast test;
(4) Carrier Ethernet test;
(5) Broadband access equipment (BRAS, DSLAM) test;
(6) PON system performance and service verification test;
(7) Testing of information security products (firewall, IDS/IPS, spam gateway and NAC certified equipment, etc.);
(8) IPSec gateway performance test;
(9) SSLVPN test;
(10) IPTV equipment and network testing;
(11) Voice/IMS performance test;
(12) Verification of new services and end-to-end network testing;
(14) Various application server performance tests;
(15) DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) device test;
(16) Home gateway/e-home terminal test;
(17) WLAN product testing;
(18) Wi-Fi handheld terminal performance test;
(19) Protocol Conformance Test (ConformanceTest) test;
(20) Automated testing.
3.1 Routing and MPLS Test Scenario
Routing and MPLS are the core technologies of IP, and they are also the most widely used test fields for the IXIA test platform. IXIA high-performance test platform and test modules, flagship test software IxNetwork provides the guarantee for the test. The corresponding test features have been mentioned in the previous IxNetwork software introduction, and will not be described in detail here. Figure 7 is a schematic diagram of the MuticastVPN test provided by IXIA.
Figure 7 MulticastVPN test schematic
3.2 Carrier Ethernet Test Solution
IXIA is also a leading carrier Ethernet test provider, an important member of MEF, IETF, ITU, and a key IP test provider for Nortel Networks CarrierEthernetEcosystem (see link: http://www .ixiacom.com/news_and_events/press_releases/Display.php?skey=157). Key features include:
(1) Support MEF9 and 14. It is a test tool recommended by IometrixLab and is completely written according to the corresponding test specifications;
(2) OC48/192RPR, LCAS, GFP and other features support;
(3) Q-in-Q, PBB/PBT support;
(4) VPLS/MPLS, T-MPLS support;
(5) EthernetOAM/CFM, ITUY.1731 support.
3.3 IPTV test plan
IXIA is currently in an absolute leading position in the field of IPTV testing, with more than 200 IPTV users worldwide (see link: http://www.ixiacom.com/news_and_events/press_releases/Display.php?skey=151), the main features include :
(1) Channel switching time test, I-FrameJoinLatency test;
(2) Based on each video stream quality test – MDI, MOS_V;
(3) Full-Reference analysis of video quality (PEVQ);
(4) The subjective and objective evaluation method of video quality;
(5) Real-time monitoring of network video stream quality (Passive Video Monitoring) and video quality analysis;
(8) Test of Microsoft IPTV;
(9) Performance test of VoD and video server (BTV and VoD);
(10) Test of IGMP/MLD switch and IPDSLAM;
(11) Test of IP set-top box (STB) and CableModem;
(12) QoE performance test of TriplePlay network.
3.4 Application layer business performance and information security test scheme
User Quality of Experience (QoE) testing is one of the current testing hotspots. All these tests are based on actual business simulations. IXIA currently supports the most extensive application layer protocols (see the IxLoad product introduction for details). Figure 8 is a schematic diagram of the service performance test. The main features include:
Figure 8 Schematic diagram of application layer service performance test
(1) QoE test of protocols such as Data (HTTP, FTP, SMTP, P2P), Video (IGMP, MLD, RTSP), Voice (SIP, MGCP).
(2) Support IPv4 and IPv6 versions of various application layer protocols.
(3) Support performance test of AAA/RADIUS, DNS, DHCP, LDAP and other servers.
(4) Generate malicious traffic to implement performance testing of information security devices, including firewalls, IDS/IPS, spam gateways, content detection devices, IPSec gateways, and SSLVPN.
(5) IP, PPPoE, IPSec, DHCP and other flexible and diverse access methods.
(6) Various real business traffic model settings such as pulse, Poisson, burst, step, and linear increase.
3.5 Voice and IMS Test Scenarios
IXIA offers leading VoIP and IMS testing on the same platform with key features including:
(1) SIP, MGCP Voice Quality Assessment (MOS) for each voice call.
(2) Simulation and performance test of VideoPhone.
(3) Support for a variety of voice compression coding, including the latest AMR and iLBC support.
(4) IMS user plane test.
(5) Targeting IP performance testing (mass UE emulation and CSCF testing).
(6) Complete TLS and IPSec testing functions (IMS security testing).
3.6 IXIA product features and advantages
IXIA products are widely recognized by users, mainly due to the following features and advantages:
(1) The real 2~7 layer test platform: each port of the test module can generate 2~3 layers of traffic (including protocols and ordinary traffic), and can also generate state (Data, Voice, Video) 4 ~7-layer application layer traffic; this is the biggest feature of the IXIA platform.
(2) Port-based multi-user operation, each port has independent CPU and memory, high performance index and can greatly improve the use efficiency; this is the biggest technical advantage of IXIA products.
(3) Open structure and automated operation: each test port runs a standard Linux protocol stack, which can easily integrate new technologies according to customer needs, and provide “what you see is what you get” automated test scripts; this can make IXIA test The efficiency of using the platform is maximized.
(4) High port density parallel and stable test: IXIA products have been verified in the user laboratory, and support the test of 1500 GE ports at the same time; a maximum of 40 users in one chassis can perform different operations at the same time, which can run stably for a long time.
The 2~7 layer IP related tests that users care about, including functional testing, performance testing and conformance testing, can be easily implemented on the IXIA unified testing platform. The real 2~7 layer test platform provided by IXIA effectively protects the user’s investment and improves the use efficiency.
As the No. 1 supplier of IP test instruments to many leading equipment manufacturers, IXIA will continue to invest heavily in research and development of new technologies on the same test platform, develop together with our customers, and promote the development of IP test technology.
The Links: NL6448BC20-08 6MBP160RUA060-01